Thursday, June 26, 2008

No More Words*

Although I have every intention of posting more during my “maternity leave” (what that even means when you work for yourself, I’m not sure), there are a few reasons that I’m not sure that’s realistic. The major reason being my rapidly dwindling vocabulary coupled with the increasing lack of the necessary faculties to string said words together.

For example, in my seriously sleep-deprived state I had the following conversation with SRH yesterday:

Me: I took Eily to the grocery store and got stuff for dinner tonight.

(This said proudly as I’ve been unable to take a dinner from conceptualization through implementation for, say, about three weeks.)

SRH: Great! What are we having?

Me: (long pause as I struggle to remember the name of the dish) Umm…chicken…in a pot…with ‘tatoes.

That’s right. That was my articulation of dinner. Chicken…in a pot…with ‘tatoes. I couldn’t even get out potatoes or even taters, for goodness sakes.

Sleep feels like a long-lost friend. Vocabulary is rapidly failing. Sanity cannot be far behind.


The cause of all this in-articulation, 3 weeks

*You tell me that you love me while you’re looking away. No more words. No more words, and no more promises of love.

(In this semi-lucid state my crazy love for bad song lyrics is more and more pushed to the fore. At some point, I will do a whole post of lyrics…just strung together…and then you will know my pain.)

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awww. What a sweet sleeping sweetie!

Also, props for getting to the store with her. Rachel was waaaay older than three weeks before I was that brave.

Katie said...

So adorable!!

And I agree with Lisa there, major props for venturing back into the "real world" - solo - so soon.

There was a study recently about the effects of pregnancy on memory and recall. It's not a phenomenon.

Zany Mama said...

lis and kate-
Okay, for purposes of full disclosure (and to make me not feel guilty for accepting your kind kudos), I may have been a bit unclear in my post.

This was not the first time that I've taken baby girl out of the house alone - that was when she was 9 days old. This was the first time that I've actually planned and executed a meal from start to finish since she's been here. (which somehow is much harder for me than getting out of the house)

When you have two kids you have to get your groove moving WAY before you'd like, so Baby, Zane, and I have been gallivanting around town for about two weeks now.

But I'll totally take your compliments on how cute Baby is...I think she's amazing!

belsum said...

Mmm, chicken in a pot with tatoes...

Pretty sweet thing!

Anonymous said...

In a lot of third world countries, women aren't "allowed" to leave the house or do anything much for 40 days after the birth of a baby, which co-incidentally, is about the time she stops bleeding.
Sexist represseion? --Or just the greatest idea ever!
Hmmm...
ATmikha

Amy said...

She is quite a cutie! Congratulations! :)

As for taking her to the store and executing dinner-I'm impressed you got the chicken in a pot and 'tatoes! That's way more than Joe could ever expect...and I'm still childless!

Zany Mama said...

belsum-
laughed out loud at your comment. ridiculous that, chicken in a pot wiht tatoes.

atmikha-
greatest.idea.ever.

seriously.

amy-
i applaud your forethought in setting the bar low before you have children. that way no one is disappointed.

Sue said...

Oh, I remember those days. I'm impressed you even thought of putting a dinner together. :) She is beautiful!

Zany Mama said...

sue-
thanks! i think the fact that i pulled a dinner together is pretty impressive as well... :)

Anonymous said...

Aw, who needs vocabulary when you have a princess?

Seriously. If you want to say something, she'll tell you what to say.

Zany Mama said...

riley-
true dat.