Friday, August 07, 2009

Chronicles of the Uncool - Episode 1

In my lengthy absence from this here blog - but who are we kidding, I’ve been gone longer - I have spent time discovering new lows in my level of coolness. Hence I begin what promises to be an lengthy, episodic documentation of my lack of coolness.

Episode 1
I’ve been on the lookout for new music. I’m getting tired of my 1,347 iPod tunes, but I’m too pressed for time to spend it wading through radio drivel. We listened to the radio while on vacation and heard the same 5 songs over and over. And while I didn’t hate the the Nelly Furtado/James Morrison song the first 67 times, it doesn’t bear up well under repetition, and I wouldn’t consider buying it. And I hear that Rob Thomas has a new song as well.

I’ve become seasoned...mature..an npr listener...uncool...

But I’m prattling on to avoid my latest descent into uncoolness. I’ve been desperate, friends. I’m wanting new music but have avoided the radio, ignored my iTunes genius recommendations, and scoffed at Pandora’s pairings.

But I’ve done it. I’ve found a new set of tunes that keep my toes a-tappin’ and makes me look forward to being in the car. It’s...The Ting Tings.

And I know that they were kind of cool when they hit the scene on an iPod commercial well over a year ago. But I’m a bit slow to catch on. Truth be told, I never saw the commercial itself.

Nope, you know where I discovered The Ting Tings? On Yo Gabba Gabba.

Yep, that’s right. I heard my new, fun music on a preschooler’s show - looked up those fresh, hip, modern kids singing a catchy tune - and was hooked.

I have since bought the majority of their stuff on iTunes - including their live stuff, but my song of the moment is below.




But my real and true favorite, the one that started it all is Happy Birthday.

I’m such a dork.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Yeah, I tend to tap my toe when they are playing too. I actually did see the Happy B-day on Yo Gabba Gabba and really liked it because it reminded me of old Blondie. I'm proud you finally recognize your dorkdom.

ZZ

Zany Mama said...

sandy-
while they're not "change my life" kind of music like ani, they'll do for now.

but the manner in which i discovered them...yikes.

belsum said...

I love Yo Gabba Gabba and don't see anything wrong with that. My currently too-young obsession is iCarly. That show is *actually* awesome, not just good-for-a-kids-sitcom.

Perhaps I'm biased but...perhaps you might try out Mercurial Rage?
www.mercurialrage.com

Anonymous said...

um. that's the favored song of ms. frances june. she calls it the stacy song. i will assume that it makes frances cool and not you uncool. yes?

Melissa Angert {All Things Chic} said...

they might be giants has some great kids stuff, too.

but i did not discover that watching playhouse disney. nope. not me.

Zany Mama said...

belsum-
hmmm....where'd you hear of that band? :)

I'll check them out.

anon-
so i'm keeping good company? no one is cooler than frances june.

girlymama-
thanks for stopping by. yep, just took a they might be giants cd back to the library. it's a small disney,noggin, nickelodeon world, no?