Thursday, August 17, 2006

With You All The Way

On the eve of our first-ever child-free vacation since Zane was born, I have two very different things on my mind:

  1. The vacation
  2. New Edition

So, I guess that our impending vacation being on my mind is no surprise. We’re leaving tomorrow afternoon for Traverse City, and I am so looking forward to it, that I really could just pee my pants. But of course, there are a million things to do before we leave and peeing my pants would result in more laundry, so…

I’ve got to get a list of all of Zane’s allergies, medications, and doctor’s numbers for my mom. I need to make sure that we’ve got plenty of food pre-made so that my mom doesn’t take Zane out for fast food at every meal. In her defense, with all his food allergies Zane is very hard to feed, except for at McDonald’s, Burger King, and Taco Bell. Those bastions of healthy food have a virtual plethora of menu items that my kid can have. If you’re not up for fast food, you can’t just throw something together because most likely Zane will eat it and die. Okay, not really, but that is the way it feels a great deal of the time.

So, we’ve made the effort to get all his prescriptions filled, all his clothes washed, and any and all snacks that he’s ever been willing to eat are in the house. So now I need to move on to making the list of medications, dosages, and schedule for those medications. I also had to make up a sheet about what to look for to take him to the doctor, emergency room, etc.

It’s hard to leave a kid with health issues!

On the other hand, I must go…

…Because I’m starting to resent things like, say, oh, giving him breathing treatments that last 30 minutes each 4 times a day or telling him to Stay in Bed! 18 times before he finally falls asleep.

…Because I need some time alone with my husband even though he resisted this vacation with everything he had.

SRH is truly and terrifyingly worried about leaving the boy without one of his parents should something happen with his asthma. I keep telling him that Zane’s asthma season really begins in earnest in September. That’s like two whole weeks away. But, irrationally, he doesn’t seem reassured.

It’s not that I’m not concerned or particularly want to be away from Zane for 4 days. I just know that I’m going to be a much better mama when I get back. I deserve this vacation. SRH deserves this vacation, and Zane deserves us to come back refreshed and relaxed. So I will drag SRH up to Michigan tomorrow and we WILL have a good time.

On to my new obsession with New Edition. Or rather, it’s an old obsession which has been re-awakened.

The most amazing thing happened last night. I got to see Behind the Music: New Edition. I had no idea that Behind the Music had done a New Edition episode, but apparently, a group of loyal fans (see this petition) was determined to see it happen. So last year VH-1 finally caved, and the delightfulness of this group was brought back to the mainstream.

(It’s just a fact of mamahood that you can feel excited about a special that was released last year that you had no idea about until yesterday. Sometimes it takes me a while to catch up on what’s happening outside of my four walls).

Perhaps I should explain – although I may not need to at this point – that I was a HUGE New Edition fan from age 9 (when Candy Girl was released) throughout my college years.

I won’t bore you with the details, but I will tell you that when SRH came downstairs last night, I shushed him and then told him during the commercial that he was not to talk or ask dumb questions while the show was on. Also, he was not to snicker behind his hand as I sat on the couch leaning forward expectantly with my hand over my heart whenever my favorite boy, Ralph Tresvantoh my gosh, we’re both Tauruses!, came on the screen.

And you know what? It was just uncomplicatedly fun to watch them and hear the songs that I grew up with. It made me a little giddy, like I was 13 years old again. It was total fun.

So what makes you giddy? A music group, a gadget, or something else? Please share, and I’ll respond when I get back from vacation.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You and SRH both need this vacation. I'm sure you'll have a great time together -- you really seem to enjoy each other's company. I find that amazing and somewhat encouraging for the future of humanity. However, I still will proceed with my plans to carry on a wild platonic affair with you (Zany Mama, NOT SRH). To that end, I encouraged SRH's paranoia about leaving your son without at least one parent in the vicinity and suggested I take his place in Michigan.

He is selfish, selfish, selfish.

Have fun and come home safely!

Anonymous said...

it is sooo funny that you talked about new edition today. I was playing in a poker tournament last night a new bar that some of my co-workers just found (it is not new. just new to us). It is a huge bar (about the size of the b-dubs in c-bus) that has lots of pool tables and dart boards. And it has the required Golden Tee machine. Anyways, back to my story, they of course had a juke box playing loud music. Alot of what it was playing was country and rock, but all of a sudden, "cool it now" started to play. There were 6 card tables of people playing and all the people started to sing along and it was quite fun. I had not heard that song in a LONG time and i forgot how great it was. I had the song in my head the rest of the night. On my frive home, i was still humming it and decided that i should go on-line and pirate a copy of it so i could listen to it again and again. I know, stealing music is wrong but Bobby Brown has bigger issues right now then me boot legging a copy of cool it now. I also own somewhere a BelBivDevoe cd of Poison and I also bought a boyz to men cd in the 90's. and they were produced by one of the new editions peeps. So i feel i have already given them enough to earn a free copy of cool it now. Thanks for reminding to do steal.

-ksig

Zany Mama said...

Anon-
Thanks for the good wishes! We did have such a good time, even though SRH didn't let you tag along. I will post about it tomorrow - and except for the snake slithering across my path during a hike - it was perfect!

Anon 2-
New Edition songs are indeed a force that works to bring all of us on the planet together.

Also, I'm pretty sure that I have their greatest hits vol.1 around here somewhere. I'll burn it for you - I'm such an enabler.